In 30 minutes, with a hypothetical budget of US $10 million, we were provided the following information for this workshop. Our group’s goal is to better the state of education given the following UNESCO statistics.
As a group, we decided to focus on the 9 million young people denied the right to a primary education.
According to UNESCO, equity can be affected by three primary factors:
We then brainstormed about all sorts of things and… came up with our best idea for the $10 million budget allotted to us.
Open an Outreach Program as an NGO
- Promotes the importance of having children in the schools.
- An additional year of schooling could increase earnings by 10%, and average annual GDP by 0.37%.
- Outreach office can issue a 3-year voucher
- Initial cash payment for sending your child to school.
- Additional compensation for each successive year.
- At the end of the 3-year term, a bonus could be paid following an ‘exit interview.’
- BUDGET: $10 million
- Hire 3 staff in the outreach office (Budget $150,000)
- Travel, International ($35,000)
- Travel, Domestic In-Country ($10,000)
- Printing and Publications (5,000)
- Family Vouchers (Ave. cost per UNESCO of funding a child’s education for one year is less than $150).
- $150*3 = $450 per child for a 3-yr. voucher ($150 for exit interview).